Does it surprise you that there are so many individuals involved with the release of a hit song? You thought it was just the record label and the artiste, right? In the production of a song, EP or an album; the producer is a very important persona. They write, arrange, produce and record songs.
In truth, there is no specific job description of a music producer. The music producer is in charge of the creative part of music. They are the creative and technical leader of the music. They arealso head of the commanding studio time and coaching the artistes. Often, it is the producers who create the beat and even pick the artiste they want to record a song with. The music producer is always with the artiste in the recording studio. This is the reason why you hear things like; “You know, I was just in the studio with the producer…” when you ask about the inspiration of a song.
I really choose to believe that the artiste is the face of so many joint works. Some producers are vast enough to be their own engineer; the ones that have the skills in operating the engineering technology. The music producer could handle the recording, mixing, mastering and preproduction of the music. It is also possible that the producer could be the songwriter, producer and artiste. At a point in an artiste’s career, they had to be all these for talents to be discovered. And you wonder why the producers deserved an award at the Headies?
However, the duty of a music producer hovers around these:
• Working with the artiste on the production arrangements. Sometimes, the artistes are not sure they want strings or keyboard chords in their songs. Together, they can decide to make the song ethereal, dreamy, or pop music.
• Working on the arrangement of the song with the artiste.Here, they determine how many times they want the chorus and where it should be placed. They decide on how long the interlude or the bridge should be.
• Receiving and modifying demo tapes that artistes have submitted. It is the job of a music producer to make a song better than it was originally.
• The music producer is responsible for helping the artistes pick one of the many songs they have written to record. Even assist the artiste with the songs to add to an album or EP.• They also help the artiste pick the right musician to feature.
• Another important duty of a music producer is to submit a budget to the appropriate individuals (mostly the record label) financing the song.
• The music producer should know how to track the records, mix the records, and prepare it for release.
The music producer is always in close relation with the artiste. So, if a song should transcend from the music publisher and the song writer, the music producer and the artiste are next in line to beat the song into pure gold.
You may want to look into the music industry as a music producer. I can bet that the job can be fun. This is the part where I tell you to stay jiggy and live life because it matters.